In a high-fat meal, the gallbladder empties completely within an hour. Biliary dyskinesia occurs when the gallbladder response is inadequate – hypotonic biliary dyskinesia (“lazy gallbladder”, when the gallbladder is emptied too slow) or hypertonic biliary dyskinesia (the gallbladder contracts to strong and the bile is evacuated too rapidly).
Ones of the most used herbal remedies for biliary dyskinesia with choleretic and / or cholagogue action are:
1. Yarrow (Achillea millefolium) infusion has a bitterish taste in some people’s opinion, or a sweet bitterish taste in other’s opinion. Drink half an hour before main meals to stimulate bile evacuation.
Prepare the infusion from 1 tablespoon of dried herb to 1 cup of boiling water. Cover the cup and let steep for 5 minutes. Drink 1-2 cups of warm tea before meals.
This tea is also beneficial for hyperacidity gastritis, gastric and duodenal ulcers, hepatitis, abdominal bloating, nausea and loss of appetite.
2. Dandelion (Taraxacum officinale) is one of the most effective plants for liver draining and bile evacuation into the digestive circuit and is an excellent liver activity stimulant.
Dandelion can be used as an infusion from 2 teaspoons of whole plant to 1 cup of water. Drink 2-3 cups per day.
Also, you can follow a cure with dandelion stems (10-15 fresh stems per day) in case of hepatitis or biliary dyskinesia.
3. Lemon Balm (Melissa officinalis) is an excellent herbal remedy for both hypotonic biliary dyskinesia (lazy gallbladder) and hypertonic biliary dyskinesia.
It helps if you suffer from lazy gallbladder (the bile isn’t evacuated fast enough in the duodenum). With its sedative, calming, and antispasmodic action is also effective in hypertonic biliary dyskinesia (the gallbladder contracts too much and the bile is evacuated to fast)
As an added bonus, Lemon balm prevents gallstones formation and stimulates the secretion of bile in the liver cells.
Drink 1 cup of concentrated combined infusion per day.
4. Another herb you can use for hypertonic biliary dyskinesia is Peppermint (Mentha piperita).
It relieves the gallbladder muscle spasms and has a general muscle relaxation action. Its active ingredients stimulate the functioning of the gallbladder and have a decongestant and calming action.
5. Celandine (Herba Chelidoni) relieves the pain caused by the the bladder contractions (hypertonic biliary dyskinesia).
Drink 1 cup of celandine infusion gradually during the day (3 g of dried leaves in 1 cup water).
Biliary dyskinesia can be triggered by the nervous system, so try to be calm until the crisis passes.
Eat regular meals (4-5 meals per day) and avoid fats and heavy foods.
Cook the food by boiling or baking (no fried foods) and avoid sauces and stews.
Change your lifestyle by quitting smoking, avoiding sedentary lifestyle.
To drain the bile properly it is indicated to lie down on the right side for 30 minutes after meals.
Biliary dyskinesia diet isn’t an exact science so, although some foods can be recommended, avoid them if they are not right for you.
About the Author:
By: Marius Mutu
Marius and Paula Mutu from self-healing-herbs.com are health enthusiasts who are continuously trying and searching natural remedies. Get the latest herbal remedies and other natural recipes directly to your inbox. Subscribe to their FREE Healing Herbs e-zine.